The influential and trusted voice of global marine insurance
IUMI Stats Report 2022
The annual IUMI Stats report presents a range of statistical data to help define the maritime sector and, more particularly, the marine insurance market.
Highlights from the 2022 analysis includes:
- 2021 saw a robust macroeconomic recovery, but in 2022 worries about inflation and recession are gathering. The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has lowered (Oct 2022) its global growth projection to 2.7%.
- Global marine insurance premiums in 2021 reached USD 33 billion, up 6.4% on 2020. Premiums have been lifted by increased global trade volumes, a stronger US dollar, increased offshore activity, higher vessel values and a reaction to deteriorating results in previous years. Insurers in Europe and Asia, in particular, saw premium growth.
- The positive trend for the ocean hull business, starting in 2021, continued into 2022. Premiums grew 4.1% in 2021, reaching USD 7.8 billion. There was continued rapid growth in the Nordic region and China, but much weaker in the UK (Lloyd’s) market, where the decline of recent years continued. The extraordinarily benign claims impacted both the frequency and the cost in recent years and could achieve the recovery of previous years’ adverse results.
- The cargo market saw an increase in premiums for 2021 to USD 18.9 billion, driven by increased global trade volumes. Also, in this segment, claims impact was comparably benign in 2021 and loss ratios in most markets improved.
- The offshore energy sector saw an increase in overall premiums, reaching USD 3.9 billion in 2021, representing a 6.9% increase in 2020. This is the second year of rise after six years of decline (2014 to 2019). The demand for offshore energy insurance typically tracks oil prices as projects become viable. Historically, there is an 18-month time lag between improved oil prices, authorised offshore expenditure, and unit reactivation. Loss ratios kept in recent years a fragile balance with significant loss events being absent, but with a long backlog in claims reporting, the youngest years still have to mature. With the oil price rally in 2022, more activity and, thus, demand for offshore energy insurance may be expected.
The full report can be downloaded here.
IUMI corporate video
Find out why IUMI is the trusted voice of marine insurance in this short video!
Take a look at what IUMI is about, what we do, who we are, and the value of our organisation.